Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Parrot of Destiny Or How I found Great Mexican food in the Suburbs

I've always been a fan of the Mexican food. On the same note, I've always held this idea that I alone knew all of the worthwhile places to score the best Mexican food in Sacto. My girlfriend has now forever proven me wrong. She introduced me to this place in Carmichael called, El Papagayo. Honestly, I had my doubts when I pulled up to the place. It looked pretty standard, even as I walked in I thought it looked like yet another standard Mexican restaurant. Once I was seated though the subtle differences set in. The fountain, the Frida Kahlo paintings, the tables with the carved parrots under glass, even the tecante beer pinates that adorned the ceiling, all these touches made for a remarkable Central American feel.

We quickly walked to the back and got ourselves a basket of the delicious homemade (at least they tasted homemade) chips and some salsa and proceeded to get our munch on. The food came out quickly. I had ordered the Banado burrito, which was basically a carne asada filled, 13 inch burrito covered in cheese and enchilada sauce. The meat was so tender and delcious not to mention that the entire burrito was as big as my forearm. This was a diet spoiler for sure. All this for the low, low price of $6.49. Can I get a "Hells yeah"? My girl ordered a plate that was piled high with moist and rich carnitas (that i had to sample throughout the meal) and proceeded to make carnitas taco's with the tortillas that came with it. Oh, and did i mention the free re-fills on Horchata. Thats right bitches, NEVER ENDING HORCHATA!!! I was a happy camper indeed. Needless to say, we both left completely full.

The Breakdown!

1 Banado Burrito
1 Carnitas Plate
1 Diet Coke
1 Horchata
Total Price = 22.74 (tip included)

Where to Find Them!
El Papagayo
5804 Marconi Ave
Carmichael, CA 95608
(916) 487-7742

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home