Wednesday, September 20, 2006

You have offended my honor with your Mayo!

It was couples night for me and my girlfriend, so we called up one of our favorite couples to grab food with and headed down to Rancho to one of their favorite sushi spots, Samurai Sushi. This place was out in the middle of nowhere off Folsom Blvd by hazel. When we walked in I have to admit I was expecting yet another in a recent line of disappointing sushi spots. Back in the day I never thought that it was possible to get bad sushi. I mean...It's fish and rice...How the hell can you fuck that up? However, this was before the Mikuniazation of Sacramento sushi spots. Seems like the new rule for originality in sushi rolls = wrapping 4-6 different types of fish and then Smothering it in 15 different kinds of mayonnaise sauces till it has no distinct taste and call it something like "sacto's amazing dragonball z roll". The menu at Samurai was very enticing as I saw many items I thought would be tasty and they seemed to stray from the Mikuni's formula which was a pleasant surprise. There were various rolls and dinner dishes that really caught my eye as being uniquely styled and enticing as to ingredients.

I was famished as I had not eaten all day. I ordered some edamame for the table while I was waiting for everyone to get what they wanted. As the table ruthlessly went through the edamame I decided to order some gyoza to ease back some of the more severe hunger pains I was feeling. The gyoza was crunchy and without a distinct flavor but tasty all the same. The sauce that accompanied the gyoza was different than most that came with gyoza at other restaurants, however I was not fond of this sauce in the slightest. For my main course I ordered the Sea Steak, which was tuna lightly seared with a spicy tapatio type red sauce that I enjoyed and soy based dipping sauce that I was not all that fond of. All I have to say is...DAMN! The sea steak was amazing. So tasty...So fresh...SO GOOD! I could have pounded two more plate fulls just on sheer taste alone, not to mention the serving size of the fish was very generous. My friends had a few rolls that I forget the name of, but looked like dumplings swimming in a sea of mayo and tasted pretty much the same except for one that had a very unique tasting sauce. I did notice strawberries on one of their rolls but when I tried it the strawberry taste was unfortunatly lost in the sea of mayo. My girlfriends rolls were more of the simple variety and tasted excellent and very fresh.

I was feeling like something sugary afterwards and decided to hit up some coffee Mochi which was Mochilcious like always (i think all restaurants use the same pre-packaged Mochi ice cream..). Everyone else at the table had some of the fried tempera ice cream, which honestly I thought kinda sucked. I only thought this because the only ice cream that survived the frying was freezer burned harshness. I've had lots of fried ice cream that was way better.

I will be back again to try more of their dishes as there were many that caught my eye even though some dishes were a bit dissapointing i think overall Samurai's is a place with alot of potential and I must say they are fast on the drinks, which is always a bonus.

The Breakdown!
dinner for 2
1 roll
1 special single roll
1 Sea Steak
1 Gyoza
1/2 order of edamame
1 diet coke
1 tea

total price = 57.00 (tip included)

Where to find them!
Samurai Sushi

12251 Folsom Blvd
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742-6305
9163531112

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home