Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Legend Of Zelda...Pizzalcious!

Originally my lady and I had plans to meet another couple at one of downtowns favorite restaurants, Zelda's original gourmet pizza. They flaked out due to a 5 day party binge which ended in tequila shots at 5am. We however were champions and had been looking forward to hitting up Zelda's all week. I lived downtown for 28+ years and Zelda's has always been a favorite of mine. So, hand in hand we walked through the doors of Zelda's ready for pizza Chicago style.

We grabbed some menu's and walked past the bar and into the dining area and found some seats. The first thing you gotta know about Zelda's is that to say the lighting is "moody" is an understatement. It's dark. Luckily I am an avid smoker, so I was able to light the candle on our table to give us a more romantic feel instead of "lost in the Amazon at night" feel. The second thing you really have to be prepared for is the temperature. It's humid. While we were waiting for our pizza, I heard the waitress telling another table full of customers that she was sorry for the temperature and that they were getting their air conditioning fixed. All I have to say about this is...Bullshit. In all the years I've been going there, it's always been an uncomfortably warm eating spot that usually takes about 20 minutes to get used to.

The decor is pretty downtownesque. Exactly what you would expect of a "local" joint. Nice booths with big high backings, which make for an intimate dinner. Crushed red velvet, Lots of nice wood, and a few cheap tables and chair sets added here and there to take on any overflow customers. Oh and of course surly staff that's a must for any local spot.

Despite all my bitching, here's the thing. Zelda's is a unique addition to Sacramento as it is the only place (and actually in my experience, California) that sells this certain style of pizza. The pizza crust has this unique consistency and taste to it. It reminds me of pie crust. It's very thick and very heavy. Granted, I'm no cook but I'm guessing it's made of cornmeal. It's served in a very heavy, deepdish, iron pan. This is a sort of foreshadowing for the pizza, as it looks as it tastes. THICK and HEAVY. You know the funny part, I have ordered pretty much everything off the menu, and the one thing that's always stuck out to me as this pizza being different, besides the crustalicious crust, is that whatever mega combination of ingredients you order...It all ends up blending a lot. There's no real hardcore distinction between flavors. Sure the pizza has 4 different cheeses (ALOT of cheese), but what you end up tasting is this single cheese that's the lovechild of them all yet is it's own single brand of deliciousness.

Here's what you need to know... The pizza's real good.. And really different than what your used to as a Sacto native, you gotta try it.

The Breakdown!
1 spiccoli (or something, I forget) Medium pizza
1 diet coke
total price = 23.00 (tip included)

Where to find them!
1415 21ST St
Sacramento, CA 95814-5208
916-447-1400


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home