Monday, September 25, 2006

The mythical search for late-night freshness....FOUND!

This last weekend was very taxing. My girlfriend and I went on a trip that started at a family gathering in Pittsburgh but ended up inside a crust-punk warehouse show in west Oakland where we were greeted with flaming jet engines and homemade pyrotechnics. Hessians aplenty covered in bad tattoos and black leather mixed with the half-shaved heads of aging dirty punk rockers as they filled this place to numbers that I'm sure hit easily 800 for attendance. After this disgusting display we ended up taking our beer addled bodies and crashing next to a beach which unfortunatly was cut short by a run-in with the cops. We eventually caught some sleep in a warehouse parking lot in south S.F. Needless to say, by the time we came back to glorious Sacto got cleaned up and napped for a while we were ravenously hungry for some food. More to the point, we needed pizza and lots of it. We were still pretty spaced-out as 2 hours of sleep in a car will do to you. So we were starting to get frustrated trying to find a place. This lead to a 15 minute conversation that went like:

Me: What do you feel like...?
My girl: I don't know...Anything. What do you feel like...?
Me: I don't know...Anything. What do you feel like...?
(wash and repeat 44 more times.)

We eventually ended up at Mark & Monica's Family Pizza. Now when you walk through the door, your instantly hit with a feeling of "this is what pizza places are supposed to look like". Wood everywhere, a sit down two player video game, a couple TV's, and a big screen. Basically it looked like Joe normal pizza parlor. We ordered the Timothy's Greek pizza which used their "Greek sauce" and from what i tasted seemed to be consist of olive oil, Parmesan and basil. As for toppings the pizza came with bell peppers, red onion, tomato, and olives topped off with beef and sausage to satisfy the intense meat cravings we were having. Now here's where i was starting to worry. See, we came in late. We were the end of the night customers. I accepted this but at the same time I was worried we were going to get some last-of-the-day pizza ingredients. It was 9.30 and they closed at 10, but i was so hungry I didn't care. To make things even scarier, it was only a short while after me and my lady had gotten our drinks and were seated, we were served our dinner.

My worries were unfounded. This pizza was the proverbial bomb! To their credit every single ingredient from the Greek sauce to the tomato tasted as if they just prepared it! Honestly, i was a little nervous about the Greek sauce as I am a big fan of red pizza sauce, but their Greek sauce set off the pizza's fanciful medley of ingredients amazingly. Normally, me and my girl will order a medium and leave about half the pizza for the next day. This time, we killed it in 20 minutes flat. Oh so tasty. As a side note, I noticed in their menu that they offer a wide array of burgers and sandwiches which reminded me of the many sub shops that cover the east coast. So, not only will I be back for their pizzarific pizza but I gotta come back to try their sandwiches which look fantastic.

The Breakdown!

1 mediumTimothy's Greek Pizza.
2 Diet Cokes
Total price = 23.86 (tip inluded)

Where to find them.

Mark & Monica's Family Pizza
4751 Manzanita Ave
Carmichael, CA 95608-0839
916.487.1010

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home